So in my effort to start to have a more handmade wardrobe for B and me, pi day of the century inspired me to make a couple of things for B. It is more of a little to no sew project but it was just the thing to get me motivated!
pi day is March 14 (3.14) and this year it is pi day of the century, March 14, 2015 (3.1415). And at 9:26 to be exact (3.1415926).
I made a quick and simple t shirt and a belt for B to wear for the occasion. The t shirt is a no sew since I just bought a $2 shirt to decorate and the belt just needed 2 quick stitches.
For the t shirt, I used the negative space from number stickers and some fabric paint. Using the stickers makes a fast and cheap stencil.
1. wash t shirt
2. plan your design, use a ruler to make words/numbers straight
3. cut around stickers and place the "negative" space of the stickers on the t shirt
4. use tape to block out spaces in between stickers to protect the t shirt from getting paint where you don't want it.
5. using a sponge brush, dab fabric paint onto the t shirt ... use an up and down dabbing motion, not a back and forth swiping motion to prevent paint getting underneath the stickers/stencil. this will also prevent visible brush strokes.
6. let the paint dry and peal off the stickers. iron over design to set the fabric paint.
I started the number on the front of the t shirt and then wrapped it around the back...
t shirt - Hobby Lobby (see similar here). size 2t. (this size seems to run small)
stickers - Michael's and Hobby Lobby
fabric paint - Michael's - Martha Stewart Crafts Satin paint in Wild Blueberry
For the belt, I didn't take any pictures of the process. It is just a simple cotton webbing belt made by threading 2 d-rings on one end and sew in place using a zigzag stitch and fold the other end back a half inch and sew in place, again, with a zigzag stitch, to have a nice finished end.
For the numbers, I just wrote on the cotton webbing with Sharpie. That is it!
1. 1 inch cotton webbing - Hobby Lobby or any fabric store
2. 2, 1 inch d-rings - Hobby Lobby or any fabric store
|see ya! i'm going to get myself some pie!|